Sunday, November 10, 2013

5 Ways To Use That Jar Of Pasta Sauce

Photo from www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
I need an intervention.  If you see me at the grocery store, please stop and make sure I have no pasta sauce in my cart!  I have this tendency to buy several jars of sauce on sale but neglect to purchase the noodles that are just a few steps down the aisle. Compound this over a few visits and we have a pantry problem.  
 
We've become so accustomed to donning noodles with tomato sauce, the challenge becomes how to utilize my overflowing stock without having to run back to the store for that Italian carb.  There are endless possibilities that we often forget: meatball subs, skillet chicken, pouring over polenta, potatoes, or even with roasted veggies.  Serving for serving, rice, quinoa, or kasha easily replaces any pasta without sacrificing the heartiness.  
 
Below are the ideas I liked best while searching through my recipe books and the web.  Now, some of these links are to recipes that have an extensive ingredient list for the actual tomato sauce.  If you're like me, the sauce you keep in your pantry is already seasoned in some fashion. So use these recipes more as a springboard for inspiration rather than a step-by-step instructional. 
 
I began making this in college. It's a quick and easy way to dress up a plain bag of frozen green beans. This is a wonderful weeknight side dish to any grilled or pan fried meat.  For a bit of crunch, garnish with slivered almonds or crispy fried onions.
 
I love Portabello mushrooms.   The End.
 
Lasagna ain't just with pasta anymore! There are tons of no-noodle recipees out there, and these lasagnas are as delicious as their traditional counterpart. You can even try converting your own stand-by recipe and replace the noodles with eggplant, zucchini, or any other squash. However, make sure to compensate for the extra liquid by adding about a 1/2 cup bread crumbs or instant rice per veggie used.
 
This is such an obvious and easy solution, but I have yet to do it.  Such a great way to accompany a gooey grilled cheese or a peppery salad.
 
I have a spaghetti squash on my kitchen counter begging for me to make this recipe.  Although its preparation is a bit lengthy to be classified as a weeknight fast meal, the heartiness of  this dish makes it fit for company or Sunday supper.

What am I missing? Tell me your favorite non-noodle ways to use a jar of pasta sauce.
 
Buon Appetito!
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you my professional daughter!!! Your mom is working 7 days a week 12 hours a day. Too tired to eat dinner but could use this for lunch ideas!!! Luv you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will compile a lunch idea post just for YOU, Mom. XOXO

      Delete